Why We Fundraise
Why do we fundraise for breast cancer cures? The walk is the celebration, fundraising helps patients fight back.
- Because 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Because every 19 seconds, somewhere in the world, a case of breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman.
- Because every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer; every 13 minutes, one woman in the U.S. will lose her life to breast cancer.
- This year, in Bexar County, 1,000 people are expected to be diagnosed with breast cancer and nearly 200 will lose their lives to the disease.
- Because breast cancer knows no boundaries. It affects people of every age, gender, socio-economic status and location.
- Because at the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths will occur around the world in the next 25 years.
- Because it’s time to go beyond breast cancer awareness. It’s time to take action!
We can fight these statistics together. Join the breast cancer movement by fundraising for Race for the Cure®.
Your fundraising has the power to make a true impact. Just consider how far we have come, thanks in part to supporters like you:
- Last year, Komen funds provided local patients with 15,261 services such as research, education, screening, and treatment.
- Those 15,261 services were provided by our Grantees:
- Alamo City Cancer Council, American Cancer Society, Friends of CHRISTUS Santa Rosa foundation, Martinez Street Women's Center, SLEW Wellness Center, The Louise H. Batz Patient Safety Foundation, ThriveWell Cancer Foundation, University Health System, The UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, WINGS, YWCA of San Antonio.
- In 1980, the 5-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer was about 74 percent. Today, that number is 99 percent.
- Since our founding in 1982, Susan G. Komen’s national research program has invested in cutting-edge research that has helped make major breakthroughs possible.
- Funding for discoveries in genetics and biology has led to personalized, less-invasive breast cancer treatments to replace the less-effective “one-treatment-fits-all” approach.
Race for the Cure® is your opportunity to turn your support for the breast cancer movement into action. Prove that you are More Than Pink™, and help us end breast cancer forever.
Register or log in to fundraise today!
For more information regarding 2018 Race for the Cure fundraising, please contact us at 210.222.9009 or firstname.lastname@example.org.